Civil Rights

In order to have a civil rights case you must have "State action." Generally this means you must sue the state, a political subdivision, a government official and the like.

Further you must be able to show that what was done was in violation of the Constitution or the laws. Some potential areas of claims are in the area of retaliation for free speech, the use of undue force in effectuating an arrest, or a violation of search and seizure laws. Another area is denial of equal protection of the law if a class of people is treated differently such as discrimination based on race, gender, age, etc. Occasionally a person will have a due process claim, which regards taking away a contractual right without the right to a hearing.

Few attorneys handle civil rights cases. I have substantial experience handling these types of cases in Federal Court. If you believe you may have a potential civil rights violation, I would be happy to discuss it with you over the phone, or by email.